A federal republic is a federation of states with a republican form of government. A federation is the central government. The states in a federation also maintain the federation. Usage of the term republic is inconsistent but, as a minimum, it means a state or federation of states that does not have a monarchy.
In English, before the merger of the two German states in 1990, the phrase "Federal Republic" was often used to refer to West Germany (within its pre-1990 borders), in contrast with the German Democratic Republic, otherwise called East Germany. People have the right to vote.
List of federal republicsEdit
- Republic of the Seven United Netherlands (1581–1795)
- "Great Colombia" (1819-1831), later Colombia (federal republic until 1886; unitary republic after 1886)
- Paraguay (1813-1876)
- Weimar Republic (German Empire 1919-1933)
- Union of Burma (1948-1962)
- Federal Republic of Cameroon (République Fédérale du Cameroun) (1961-1972)
- Uganda (1962-1966)
- Czechoslovakia (1969-1992)
- Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (1922-1991)
- Yugoslavia (1945-2003)
ca:República federal da:Forbundsrepublik de:Bundesrepublik es:Federación gl:República federal it:Repubblica federale he:רפובליקה פדרלית nl:Federale republiek nds:Förbundsrepubliek pl:Republika federalna pt:República federal ro:Republică federală sv:Federation uk:Федеративна республіка